After having my mind blown by the spectacle that was Pacific Rim, I kept hearing how much of the movie had been inspired by (or cribbed, or ripped-off from) Neon Genesis Evangelion. This 1995 Japanese sci-fi television series is well-loved by fans of Anime and Mecha. Well, that is right up my alley, since I was a big collector of Macross (also known as Robotech) and Yamato books and toys back in the day.
So, now I am feeling the need to catch up with the Neon Genesis Evangelion saga. As I started looking on Amazon, I was overloaded mentally by all the iterations of Neon Genesis Evangelion that were listed. Woah, where do you begin?
Well, of course, Google is your friend. Thanks a few posts on Yahoo answers, a list on Anime Vice and some random comments here and there, I’ve found a list that tells me where to start with Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Neon Genesis Evangelion Viewing Order
- Neon Genesis Evangelion 26-episode TV Series, but just watch through episode 20, then get….
- Director’s Cut episodes – two DVDs that include the “director’s cut” and the original version of shows 21 26.
- (optional) Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth is two separate films
- Death – a recap of the first 24 episodes of the TV series
- Rebirth – the first third-ish of “End of Evangelion”
- The End of Evangelion is available as a stand-alone movie, as a bundle, or in a box set or two
- (rare) Revival of Evangelion (a re-work of “Death” from item 3, and “The End of Evangelion “) apparently only available in Japan on “Renewal of Evangelion” – so probably not happening
- Rebuild of Evangelion – not sure if this is a reboot, a re-telling or a re-work
So, this could take a while.
Let me know if this order is right, since I am new to Neon Genesis Evangelion, I really want to get started with the right shows.
Do you agree with this getting started list for Neon Genesis Evangelion?