i will revise this post with more information and links later, but I wanted to get this out. I actually emailed this to a friend who loves iTunes but has no iPod. It will take convincing, but I will get him over to the Pod side of the force!
OK, so you want to get the daily download of a radio show?
1. First, download the new iTunes (4.9).
2. Open iTunes and look in the lefthand sidebar for “Podcasts” which is right under “Library.” Click on it. It will be empty.
3. In the top menu, go to Advanced, then Subscribe to Podcast.
4. Copy and paste the URL of the podcast feed. (such as http://www.somedomainhere.com/podcast.xml)
NOTE: You can also drag and drop a podcast feed XML icon (usually orange and square) from any site with a Podcast feed right into iTunes and it does the same thing. This bypasses the step above. Easy Peas-ey!
5. You should now see the show in your list. It should also be downloading. Click and listen. Easy Cheesy!
6. Still on the podcast page, look for the “settings” button at the bottom of the page. Adjust the settings here, dowhatchalike. I have it to check everyday, download all, and keep all episodes.
Keep in mind if you had an iPod, you could take this show, and others (and ALL your music) with you to listen to in the car to and from work (but I won’t go there bro’).
Want more podcasts? Cool.
7. In iTunes, click on “Music Store”
8. Look for the Purple and white “Podcasts” graphic.
9. Get some, they are totally free! Try the search tool, it helps.
10. Visit other Podcast directories on the web, add the top rated shows to start finding ones you like.
Hope this helps.
For those that do own iPods, be sure to get the iPod firmware update. You need it to take advantage of the podcast features of iTunes 4.9. More on that later…